The luggage prices and policies of Air New Zealand are quite simple. One of the most reputable airlines operating today is Air New Zealand. Because it offers excellent service at affordable prices, the airline has significant popularity among travelers in Oceania and South Asia. You must be aware of the Air New Zealand luggage charges and allowances if you want to fly with this airline.
With reasonable fees for additional checked bags booked online up to 90 minutes before to departure for international flights, Air New Zealand offers a very normal baggage policy.
Planning ahead is important since adding a bag in advance saves you money on extra baggage fees, which are more than double at check-in.
Air New Zealand Airlines Baggage Allowance Domestic / International
Air New Zealand Airlines Hand Baggage Allowances
Air New Zealand Carry-On Baggage Allowance
Depending on your class of travel, you may only bring one carry-on bag. Better luggage allowances are available for premium economy, business class, and first-class passengers. Let’s look at the size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage with Air New Zealand:
- Economy – Passengers in the economy class may bring one piece of cabin baggage that weighs no more than 7 kg and one compact bag, such as a laptop bag, purse, or diaper bag. The entire size of the luggage shouldn’t be greater than 118 cm.
- Premium Economy and Above – Passengers in premium economy, business class, elite members, Star Alliance Gold members, etc., are permitted two pieces of carry-on bags that weigh a combined maximum of 14 kg. The weight of one piece of luggage shouldn’t exceed 10 kg. Your carry-on luggage size for Air New Zealand shouldn’t be larger than 118 cm overall.
|Class of Service||Size Restrictions||Weight Allowance|
|Premium Economy||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
|Business||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
|Connecting Business||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
|Airpoints Gold members||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
|Elite members||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
|Star Alliance Gold members||118cm total||Up to 14kg total|
Air New Zealand Airlines Cabin Baggage Allowance
The baggage policy of Air New Zealand permits one piece of carry-on luggage per passenger, including children. Passengers may also bring one small personal item, such as a thin laptop or small backpack.
By summing the bag’s overall width, height, and length, the size restriction for carry-on luggage for Air New Zealand takes wheels and handles into account. The sum of these three dimensions cannot exceed 118 cm (46.5 inches).
Please be aware that members of Premium Economy, Business Premier, connecting Business Premier, AirpointsTM Gold, Elite, and Star Alliance Gold have a higher carry-on luggage limit while flying with Air New Zealand. You must check any additional baggage.
|Baggage Type||Size||Weight Allowance||Fees||Additional Fees|
|Carry-on baggage (Economy)||1 item measuring 118cm (46.5 inches) in total (height + width + length)Plus 1 small personal item||Up to 7kg (151lb)||Free||None|
|Carry-on baggage (Premium Economy, Business Premier)||2 items measuring 118cm (46.5 inches) totalPlus 1 small personal item||Up to 14kg (30lb) for 1 item 10kg (22lb) for the second item||Free||None|
|Checked baggage||1 item measuring 152cm (61 inches)Up to 3 items for certain fares (see below)||23kg (50lb) per item||Free with certain fares (see below)||£20 – 90 prepaid extra bag charges for 1st extra bag.£35 – 110 for 2nd extra bag|
|Excess baggage||N/A||Contact the airline for more details||NZD $80 for domestic flights$170 for flights to Australia$250 for flights to the rest of the world||From NZD $390 for 2 extra bagsFrom NZD $160 for items over 23kg but under 23kg|
Air New Zealand Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance Domestic / International
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) and max linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm).
- seat+bag Fare: 1 piece
- flexichange Fare: 1 piece
- flexirefund Fare: 2 pieces
- Seat+bag Fare: 1 piece
- Theworks Fare: 1 piece*
- Economy Fare: 1 piece**
- Works Deluxe Fare: 2 pieces
- Premium Economy Fare: 2 pieces
- Business Premier Fare: 3 pieces
- * For flights to Honolulu, the baggage allowance is 2 checked pieces.
- ** For flights to Shanghai, Singapore, and Taipei, the baggage allowance is 2 checked bags. For flights departing Australia to Canada and the U.S. (excluding New York and Honolulu), the baggage allowance is 2 checked bags. Flights from Australia to New York have a baggage allowance of 1 checked bag.
Air New Zealand Airlines Excess/Extra Baggage Allowance / Fees
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
- Additional baggage can be added to a booking online up to 3 hours before an international flight and 30 minutes before a domestic flight.
|Domestic New Zealand flights||$30 per bag|
|Flights between New Zealand and Australia/Pacific Islands (except Perth and Tahiti)||$55 per bag|
|Long-haul flights (including between New Zealand and Perth or Tahiti)||$90 per bag|
Excess Baggage Fees From New Zealand, Australia, and North America
|Departing From||Destination||Extra Bag||Over 23 KG but Under 32 KG or Oversize|
|New Zealand||Domestic New Zealand||NZ$45 per bag||NZ$20|
|To Australia and the Pacific Islands, excluding Perth, Honolulu, and Bali (Denpasar)||NZ$90 per bag||NZ$40|
|To Rest of the World||NZ$150 per bag||NZ$60|
|Australia||To New Zealand and the Pacific Islands (except from Perth)||AU$85 per bag||AU$40|
|From Perth to New Zealand||AU$140 per bag||AU$55|
|All other international destinations||AU$140 per bag||AU$55|
|Canada||All international destinations from Vancouver||CA$135 per bag||CA$55|
|U.S.||All international destinations||$110 per bag||$40|
- Excess baggage charges are dependent on the exiting country.
- Most sporting equipment counts as checked luggage with standard weight allowances.
Air New Zealand Airlines Baggage Allowance for Student
Air New Zealand Airlines Overweight Baggage Fees
Contacting Air New Zealand
If you have any other questions about the Air New Zealand baggage policy you can reach out to them using these contact details.
- Phone 0800 737 000 in New Zealand
- Call +64 (0)9 357 3000 from overseas
- Use Facebook messenger or Twitter
- Send an email through the Air New Zealand website