Most of us have had our bank cards lost or stolen at some point. And it’s scary to not know where your card is and to think that someone could use it to steal your money. If this happens to a CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) customer, they can get help, and one way is to remove their CIBC bank card.
How to Cancel a CIBC Debit Card
But missing the card isn’t the only reason. Other reasons could be that you don’t need it anymore or you think someone else is using your account without your permission. In either case, cancelling is an easy process that shouldn’t take you more than a day.
In this piece, we’ll help you figure out how to easily cancel your CIBC bank card. We’ll also tell you about some things we think you should do before.
How to Cancel Your CIBC Debit Card at One of Their Locations
You might think at first that you can cancel your debit card through CIBC Online or Mobile Banking, but you can’t.
But you can do one of two things. The first is to go to the branch nearest you and tell them what’s going on:
- Find the CIBC bank that’s closest to you.
- Take your ID with you and go there.
- Request to cancel your CIBC bank card. They will probably want to know why.
- So, that’s all! Your card is no longer valid.
How to Call CIBC to Cancel Your Debit Card
You can just call, email, or text CIBC to cancel your bank card. We suggest that you call 1-800-465-4653, which is the fastest way to get help.
When you finally get to talk to a person, you’ll have to tell them what’s going on with your bank card. In other words, you will have to say if you lost it or no longer need it.
- If the second is true, they may try to give you a better deal. If you don’t want to get a new one, try to avoid it as much as possible.
- But if you choose the first choice, you need to report it so that your bank account is safe and your debit card is taken away as soon as possible. Read How to Report a Lost CIBC Debit Card to learn how to do this.
After you get proof that your debit card has been stopped, cut it up and make sure it can’t be put back together.
What Do I Need to Do Before I Cancel My CIBC Debit Card?
You should know that once you cancel your CIBC bank card, you won’t be able to use it anymore. So it’s important to do some things, like sending money, before you even start the process. If you have money in your bank account, you can move it to another account or take it out at an ABM.
Also, try to spend all of your points if your account is part of a rewards program. Some may be lost when you remove your bank card, but others will be moved to a new card if you ask for one. On the CIBC website, you can find out about these things.